Fort Loudoun was a provincial fort built by the Colony of Pennsylvania in 1756 during the French and Indian War and served as an important supply depot in the line of forts along the Forbes Road. It was the site of the Cherokee Indian council in 1758 and site of the first armed uprising to British authority, the Black Boys Rebellion, in 1765, which was depicted in the 1939 film Allegheny Uprising starring John Wayne.
The 200 acre historic site features the 1780 James Patton house (where the museum and gift shop is located) and the wood stockade fort built on the exact location discovered in 1980 by Pennsylvania archaeologists. The fort is 126′ x 126′ and is undergoing a complete restoration by site staff and volunteers. Check out the newest addition to the fort, the 1758 Guard House! While at the fort, do not miss the west branch of the Conococheague Creek which sits below the western bastion (rampart).
You are welcome to visit and walk about the site. At this time, Fort Loudoun does not have regular hours for guided tours.